Friday, August 8, 2014

DIY Friday!

Currently listening to: The Resolution x Jacks Mannequin


Hey Y'all! 

So, I don't know about y'all but ever since Pinterest became a thing, all I want to do is the DIY stuff I see on there. So, I did a few! One of the projects I'm going to show is actually something my mama made me, and I amped it up even more! Let's get started!

First, I'll admit I love pictures. I want them hanging all over my walls, because they just make me happy! So, lately I've been obsessing over the canvas prints but when I look everywhere online they're like $50+.  
No thank you! I can find better ways to spend $50.00. So, I was thinking I bet there's a way to do this yourself. Well, luckily I have a wonderful new sister-in-law who has done these before! In fact, their guest book was one of their engagement photo's on a canvas and everyone signed it! I thought, what better way than to have someone experienced help me do it?! So, I went to her!

Here's what's really great about this DIY Project. It took about 20 minutes, and cost about $20. How awesome is that!?



I used two 16x20 Canvas' because Hobby Lobby had them on special, a pack of 2 for $7.99. One 8x10 is $3.99, so it's actually a better deal! Then, you'll need some Modpodge! Hobby Lobby had this smaller jar, which was more than enough, for $4.99! You'll also need a sponge brush like the one pictures below, they aren't very expensive and you can get them just about anywhere! If you have a smart phone, hobby lobby always has a 40% off coupon posted online, no matter what. So, using that I spent $10.00 total (tax included) on the canvases and modpodge! 

As far as the pictures go, I went to Sam's Club and at their kiosk you can print poster size pictures. I chose an 16x20 in the pictures below, and total that was about $12.00 (tax included.) This project total cost about $22.00! (I did have to slightly cut off around the edges of the photos because they were hanging off the canvas a little.)

*I forgot my camera at home, so forgive me because their aren't in-process pictures! Ah. I know! I'm awful, please forgive me! :( 

During the process, you'll take the canvas, and spread an even, thin layer of modpodge all around it. I spread it out in long vertical layers for the vertical picture and horiztonal lines for the horizontal picture! 
Place the picture on the canvas while the modpodge is still wet. (You're basically glueing the picture to the canvas. The back of the photo should be on the glue, DON'T glue the actual photo face down!) Then, I flipped my canvas upside down and laid a heavy book on top to make sure they stuck together! I let it sit for about 5 minutes until it was dry and the photo & canvas stuck together. Next, take the modpodge and again, do thin layers on the canvas. This time, however, you'll be putting it directly on the photo. Be sure not to put too much around the face area. The modpodge is what gives it the "canvas" look. I did two coats of modpodge on each of my canvases, but if you want to do more, feel free! Let it dry for about 15 minutes then taadaa! You have a photo canvas ready to hang! 

If this doesn't make sense, please leave a comment below and I will further explain/do another canvas to demonstrate! Here are my final products!





The next project is the one my mama made for me, and I amped up! 

I'm the kind of person that if I need to remember something, I HAVE to write it down. So, when I went off to college my mama made me this handy reminder for my dorm room! 




Cute, right? So, here's what you do! 

Take an old picture frame (we used the one with 4 panes, clearly) and you take the glass out. Next, you take pieces of magnetic material and super glue some pretty scrapbook paper to it! The piece of the backing that typically holds the picture against the glass in the frame will hold the magnet & scrapbook paper in place. That's it! Super simple, huh? 

Now the part I amped up, the magnets! Super easy, super cheap!
We bought these little sequined stickers at Walmart, and you hot glue them to pieces of magnets. (They sell circular or square ones at ant craft store.) 
For the button ones, you do the same thing! Find some cute, fun, bright colored buttons and hot glue them to the pieces of magnet! 

This makes for a great place to put reminders, a schedule, even pictures! You can hang it up with a command strip, or if you have a place to put a nail in the wall (I know most dorms don't) then you can hang it up that way as well! This works with any picture frame, not just the 4 pane ones!


I know it's all a little confusing because I don't have step by step pictures, but I hope I explained this well enough for you to understand! If not, let me know and I will do my best to help you in everyway possible!

Let me know if you end up trying this out!

Enjoy the rest of your Friday, and have a wonderful weekend!

Remember,


1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Go check it out! http://southernbelleramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-award-get-to-know-me.html

    ReplyDelete